The Swineapple took the interwebs by storm last year. I avoided the hype. I tried to not look at the delicious recipes. I even tore the word pineapple from my lexicon! But, the pull of the swineapple was too much. I have given in to the magic of bacon, pork, and smoke…once again.
My version of the swineapple features an Asian flair with coconut milk and red curry paste in a sauce featuring the Brekle’s Brown Ale. The smoke took 5 hours, and that bacon, oh that bacon, was was so amazing that I might just wrap myself in it.
- 1 large pineapple
- ½ bottle Brekle's Brown Ale
- ½ lbs pork country-style ribs, cut into chunks
- 1 lbs bacon
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 TBSP red curry paste
- 1 TBSP Sriracha
- Several dashes fish sauce
- ½ tsp garlic salt
- ½ tsp Creole seasoning
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- Hot sauce (to your daring and tolerance)
- Remove the top of the pineapple, save it!
- Scoop out the core of the pineapple
- Skin the pineapple
- Mix beer, coconut milk, red curry paste, fish sauce, and spices
- Put the pork into the coconut milk mixture, then into the pineapple
- Top with the other piece
- Lattice the bacon and wrap around the pineapple (secure with toothpicks)
- Smoke for ~4-6 hours at 225ºF until internal temperature of 165ºF