Fried chicken sandwich, pretty easy to cook, right? Wrong, How many rubbery, greasy chicken sandwiches have you endured. The idea behind this fried chicken sandwich is create a piece of chicken that packed with flavor and moistness while the breading to crispy and light. The dressing and IPA Goddess Slaw provide even more flavor and crispness to the sandwich as the ciabatta, well ciabatta better than sliced bread, right?
Tip #1: Dry Brine
Dry brining chicken retains moisture and adds flavor by hydrating the cells of muscle tissue. A dry brine keeps the chicken from exuding excess moisture when it cooks which causes the breading to fall off.
Tip #2: Dredge
The flour mixture should be seasoned well. The use of kefir in lieu of buttermilk creates a tangy dredge, as well.
Tip #3: Fry
Use peanut oil because it has a high smoking point and a neutral flavor. Also, fry the chicken in 350ºF oil, so heat it to 365ºF so when you add the chicken, the temperature will drop to the right temperature.
Look out face...here it comes!
- 6 skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 6 ciabatta buns
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp light brown sugar
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp Creole seasoning
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 large egg, beaten to blend
- 1 cup kefir
- Peanut oil (for frying)
- 2 TBSP Finger Gun IPA
- 1 tsp Scorpion Pineapple Hot Sauce
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup sour cream
- 3 scallions, white and green parts, chopped
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 TBSP lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 5 anchovy fillets
- ½ tsp coarse kosher salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups green cabbage, thinly sliced
- Add the IPA, hot sauce, mayonnaise, sour cream, scallions, basil, lemon juice, garlic, anchovies, salt and pepper to a blender and blend until smooth
- Add cabbage to a large bowl and toss with 3-4 TBSP IPA Goddess Dressing until lightly coated
- Sprinkle salt and brown sugar evenly over the chicken
- Chill uncovered for up to 1 day.
- Whisk flour, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, Creole seasoning, and kosher salt in a medium bowl
- Whisk egg and kefir in another bowl
- Dredge chicken in the egg wash, then in the flour mixture
- Pour several tablespoons of peanut oil into a large heavy pan
- Heat until 365°F
- Working in batches, fry the chicken until deep golden brown
- Transfer to a wire rack set over paper towels to drain.
- Spread some IPA Goddess dressing over cut sides of the buns
- Layer sandwiches with fried chicken, slaw, and a few shakes of hot sauce, if desired